Nunavut Arctic College

Switch to desktop

Nunavut Arctic College

Nunavut Arctic College

Nunavut Arctic College has a strong commitment to provide high quality educational opportunities to all residents of Nunavut. The College has five campuses: Nunatta Campus and the Nunavut Research Institute Science Campus in Iqaluit, Kivalliq Campus and the Nunavut Trades Training Centre in Rankin Inlet and the Kitikmeot Campus, located in Cambridge Bay. Community Learning Centres are located in all 25 communities of Nunavut.

Website URL:

Social Profiles

This report is designed to open the dialogue for students, instructors and Arctic College managers to lead and manage the institutional change that will be required in order for us to succeed in making effective use of information and learning technologies. Globally the appropriate use of ILT’s has increased student engagement and enhanced the learning environment for adult students.

How can we use technology to do the same for Nunavut students?

Location: online in all communities across Nunavut through Nunavut Arctic College

Dates: January 28 - April 26, 2013

Starting in January, Nunavut Arctic College will be offering Introduction to the Circumpolar World (BCS 100), an online university course affiliated with the University of the Arctic. It will be offered in English with the option of submitting discussion questions and assignments in English or Inuktitut. There are no prerequisites for this course except the ability to read and write at the college level.

Research: Frequently Asked Questions

Published in Nunavut Research Institute

Can my licence be processed in thirty days?

The only circumstance where a licence can be processed within or before 30 days is if the applicant has in place all required sub-licences and permits, and has provided copies of letters of endorsement from all agencies who may have a vested interest in the research being undertaken.

NRI extends a minimum of 30 days to agencies to review projects. Applicants have the right to individually contact agencies regarding licence endorsements, but should be aware that most agencies prefer applicants to adhere to the time protocols established by NRI.

Who determines which agencies may have a vested interest in the research project?

The NRI Manager, Research Liaison is responsible for an initial review of each project application to determine which agencies should be consulted for review.

What is the difference between Nunavut Settlement Area and Inuit Owned Lands?

Nunavut Settlement Area refers to the whole area of Nunavut. See Article 3 and Schedule 3-1 of the Nunavut Land Claim Agreement for a full description. Inuit Owned Lands refer to specific parcels of lands within the Nunavut Settlement Area. See Article 19.2.1 of the Nunavut Land Claim Agreement, for a full description.

What do I do if part of my project is in Nunavut and part is in the western Northwest Territories?

The 2 territories have separate licensing processes for work within the 2 territories. You need to apply to both agencies.

What if my project is multi-disciplined?

For example: involves archaeology and anthropology, or involves wildlife and traditional knowledge.

If your project is multi-disciplinary, ensure you contact all licensing and permitting authorities with potential interest, to ensure you are not in violation of any Nunavut legislated Act or Regulation.

NRI has developed a good working relationship with other licensing & permitting bodies and will endeavor to ensure your application is smoothly processed.

Should I take advantage of reduced airfares and book my plane ticket even if I don't have my research licence yet?

To do so is at your own risk.

You are not permitted to commence with data collection until a licence is issued. Please be aware that NRI will not assume responsibility for any cost incurred by the applicant in the event that a licence is issued after proposed field dates or in the event a licence application is rejected.

Can I make last minute changes to my proposed field site locations?

Any changes in field locations must be reported to the nearest community and have approval from that community. Therefore, delays in the project getting underway could occur while notification of changes and review consultation are taking place. NRI will endeavor to assist on short notice, but there are no guarantees of quick approvals.

Can I make changes to my projects after it is Licenced?

It is possible to make changes to your project if you make a statement of “Change in information” as per section 4.2 of the Scientist Act R. S. N. W. T. 1988, c.S-4. Statements should be directed to NRI as soon as possible. NRI will determine, based on the nature of the changes, whether further review consultation is required or if the licence requires amendment.

What happens if a community I have selected to do my field research in decides they do not wish to participate?

If your project application has identified several communities, then your Licence will be issued only for those communities willing to participate.

If required, NRI will assist you in identifying an alternative community who may be willing to participate in your research.

What should I do if I decide after licensing that I must cancel my project?

Notify NRI of your project cancellation and NRI will advise reviewing agencies. It is your responsibility to notify any contractors (translators, interpreters, outfitters, participants, etc.), with whom you have made arrangements, of your project's cancellation.

Copyright 2008-2016 Nunavut Arctic College. All rights reserved.
For more information on our programs and courses, contact the Registrar's Office at 1-866-979-7222

Top Desktop version